Roberto Firmino set Liverpool, beaten at Napoli in their previous game, on their way in the 20th minute with an emphatic finish after a smart pull back from Andy Robertson found the Brazilian in space in the box.
Swiss international Xherdan Shaqiri, busy and creative throughout, fed Salah for Liverpool’s second on the stroke of halftime, the Egyptian firing home from inside the box.
Red Star had threatened little and Liverpool put the game beyond them six minutes after the interval when Filip Stojkovic stuck out an arm to block Sadio Mane and Salah blasted home the penalty for his record 50th goal in 65 games for the club.
Mane then missed another penalty before making amends with a close-range finish in the 80th minute.
Liverpool XI: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Mane, Salah, Firmino.
Red Star XI: Borjan, Degenek, Babic, Stojkovic, Gobeljic, Jovicic, Krsticic, Ebecilio, Srnic, Nabouhane, Boakye
LIVERPOOL 4-0 RED STAR | FIRMINO (20), SALAH (43, 52), MANE (79)
- Jurgen Klopp makes five changes – Fabinho starts
- Roberto Firmino opens the scoring
- Mohamed Salah converts with powerful finish
- Salah nets penalty after Sadio Mane fouled
- Sadio Mane misses penalty
- Mane pokes home Daniel Sturridge cross
- Mohamed Salah became the fastest man ever to score 50 goals for Liverpool